Dual Language Immersion – Suggested Talking Points
Thank you for attending the Natrona County School District Board of Trustees meeting tonight to show your support for Dual Language Immersion programs in the Natrona County school district.
For your convenience, below are three Dual Language Immersion (DLI) talking points. These are provided to help our supporters stay focused on our two objectives of two languages (Spanish and Mandarin) to begin in the Fall of 2013 for kindergarten students.
You will have only 3 minutes to state your case at the beginning of the Board meeting which starts promptly at 7:30pm Monday April 8th. After this time, you will not have an opportunity to voice your opinion in this meeting.
As an example, you may choose to focus on one or more of the talking points below when you deliver your address to the Board:
- Please tell a personal story to illustrate why dual language immersion is important to you as a parent:
- Why is it important to you that your child learn a second language?
- Do you travel or do business overseas where a second language would benefit you or eventually help the children of this county/state?
- Have you traveled, or travel often, to places where knowing a second language would benefit you?
- Are you involved with a Wyoming business that could benefit from selling exports to countries that speak Mandarin, Spanish and/or French?
- Has a cross-cultural experience affected your family? Examples may include, but are not limited to, adopting a foreign child or having a family member that speaks another language.
- DLI should be implemented in the Fall of 2013, to take maximum advantage of the current momentum for DLI programs in Natrona County. Parental involvement should demonstrate that this is a wanted and needed program in Casper.
- I understand that learning a second language can have a powerful impact on my child’s future.
- Spanish is important due to the number of Spanish speakers in the US, the proximity to Spanish speaking countries, vast travel opportunities, employment opportunities, etc…
- Mandarin is one of the most challenging languages to learn as an adult but not for a child. Learning Mandarin will help our children be competitive in tomorrow’s global market. It is important to me that my child learn Mandarin first and then possibly learn an easier language such as Spanish, French, Portuguese at a later date because…
PLEASE THANK THE TRUSTEES and tell them that by adopting DLI programs they are sending a powerful message to the community that the Board is being proactive in preparing our children for the future.
Thank you very much for your support of the Dual Language Immersion program. This will be such a gift for our children!